Questions to Ask the Senior Care Provider You Interview
Article submitted by Visiting Angels. Visiting Angels is a national, private duty network of home care agencies.
Is your mom or dad in need of senior care services? Are you considering at home care options for your loved one? There are many options for senior care services; finding the one that’s best for your family is essential.
According to Larry Meigs, President and CEO of Visiting Angels, “Choosing a senior caregiver is as much about experience as it is about finding an individual with a caring, compassionate personality. You want a caregiver who will personally connect with your loved one; someone who will provide quality care with a personal touch.”
Finding a caregiver your loved one can connect with is essential. Asking questions and getting to know the potential caregiver’s personality and philosophy of care will help you to find the right senior care provider for your loved one.
Consider asking some of these questions to help you get a good feel for the temperament, experience and expertise of the elder care provider you are considering.
- What previous elder care experience do you have? How many years?
- Are you trained in First Aid? CPR?
- What additional training or certifications do you have?
- Describe your elder care philosophy?
- Why did you choose to become an elder care provider?
- What qualities make you a good elder care provider?
- What specifically do you enjoy about elder care?
- What specifically do you find challenging about elder care?
- What are your greatest strengths? Weaknesses?
- If you are leaving your current position, can you tell me why?
- What are your expectations when caring for my loved one?
- What kinds of activities do you engage in with your clients?
- Would you be able to provide the following services?
– Washing hair
– Cutting nails
– Light housekeeping
– Running errands
- It is essential my loved one takes medication on a schedule. Are you able to/willing to administer medication on schedule or to remind my loved one to take their medication?
- Are you willing to log when you administer medication to my loved one?
- What would you do if an injury occurs during your care?
- How do you handle aggressive behavior by a client?
- Do you smoke?
- What is your availability? Do you work shifts? Weekdays? Weekends? Holidays?
- Are you comfortable providing care overnight if necessary?
- Can you provide at least two references from previous clients with phone numbers?
More about Visiting Angels
Visiting Angels is a national, private duty network of home care agencies. We are proud to be the nation’s leading provider of non-medical senior home care services. Our Angels provide in-home care, respite care, senior personal care, elderly care and companion care services. With our senior home care services, elderly adults can continue to live independently in their own homes.
© 2013, All Rights Reserved by Visiting Angels
Posted September 2013 on www.SeniorsResourceGuide.com